1) We would often have sugar sandwiches for tea, usually because we had run out of jam — or money to buy jam. White bread, margarine, and sugar.
It kept the dentist in business.
2) You had an aunt who would cut your hair.
My aunt Carol cut my hair.
“What
style? Who do you want to look like?” She would ask. ‘David Bowie or
David Essex?’ was my reply. They seemed to do well attracting girls;
perhaps it would work for me? It didn’t. Well, I don’t think it did. It's possible the girls didn't like the two David's. Most of my age seemed to be into the Bay City Rollers.
3) The local library was the internet.
It really was.
There was no Google or A.I. You actually had to do some work to find out anything. It often began with legwork. Real legwork, because it meant a trip to the library, and you had to walk to get there. Well, I had to walk.
Once there, the first port of call was the library card index cabinets. Each had several drawers full of postcard size index cards with details of each book and where it could be found. Many times I made my way to the shelf, expectations high, only to see a gap because the book was out on loan.
"Come back in a couple of weeks." The librarian would advise. I don't recall there being a waiting list.
Sometimes it took weeks for the book to fill the gap again.
4) You are old enough to remember when England last won the World Cup.
A thriller against Germany.
Actually, I don’t remember this World Cup at all. I was probably too young to care. I do remember the 1970 rematch, when Germany got their revenge. Muller’s goal sticks in my memory.
It was also the World Cup where Bobby Moore, England’s captain, was arrested. Brazil won the World Cup. Great team with PelĂ© ruling the world. That’s how football should be played.
5) At home, you had to put money into a coin meter to get electricity.
It was probably a shilling each time, but like today you didn't get much for your money, the electricity didn’t last long. Back then, when the lights went out they stayed off until you fed the meter again.
I recall the meter needed to be fed regularly.
A version also published on Medium, 19/08/25.
Edited and updated, 30/09/26.

No comments:
Post a Comment